Understanding Personal Capital Gains Tax on Residential Property

Tax Accountant is a network of experienced professionals and proactive accountants. We offer a wide range of accounting and tax services; Contact us today to discuss your requirements

Get Professional Help for Your Business

If you own a second residential property, then you might need to pay personal Capital Gains Tax on any profit you make when you sell it. This could be a second home or a buy-to-let property while you might also need to pay tax if your home is used partly for business

What Tax Will I Pay?

In the UK, the Capital Gains Tax rates for property are higher than the rates for other assets. For basic-rate taxpayers, they will need to pay 18% when on any profit when they sell the property. For those who are higher-rate taxpayers then they will have to pay a rate of 28%. However, what you should be aware of is that capital gains are included when you have to calculate your tax status. Therefore, you could find that you cross into the higher tax bracket. Every taxpayer will have a Capital Gains Tax allowance that they can earn before they pay tax which is £12,000. If couples jointly own an asset then the allowance can be combined, giving them an allowance of £24,000.

How Much Will I Pay?

Capital Gains Tax is only applicable to any profit or gains that you make. The simple equation for this is to deduct the price you bought the property for from the price you sold it before. You can then deduct any expenses such as fees, stamp duty and other expenses, eventually giving you the profit.

It is also possible to offset any losses when it comes to selling other assets and these can be carried forward. So, if you make a loss of £40,000 in your property portfolio when selling a property, this will increase your tax-free gain when the time comes to sell another property.

All losses can be claimed through the self-assessment tax return. However, if you make a profit, you will need to pay tax on anything over £12,000. If you need help calculating your tax position then accountants Birmingham will be able to help you.

As Accountants in Birmingham, we have advised individuals, landlords and property investors about Capital Gains Tax. Call us if you need any advice related to your personal needs and circumstances. 

When Do I Need To Pay Capital Gains Tax?

As it currently stands, if you sell a property, you will not need to pay any tax until the 31st January after the tax year that the property was sold in. This will need to be submitted to HMRC as part of your self-assessment tax return. What this means is that if you sold a property in March 2020, then you won’t need to submit your tax until January 2021.

However, things are changing come April 2020. Any property that is sold after the 6th April in the UK, if taxable capital gains are made then the tax will need to be paid within 30 days of completion or disposal. This can be done through the submission of a Residential Property Return. You will then need to make a payment on account. This shorter window will mean that you have to be more aware of your taxes and manage them better which is why you might benefit from accountants Birmingham.

It is never enough to just ask clients about business health. Insufficient knowledge always leads to poor decisions. An accountant should explore a little deeper and inquire about clients business operations, including process flow, the employment process, procurement, customer base, ability to expand and resources available to invest in new equipment and emerging technologies. Only by researching more deeply into a business, an accountant truly is set forth to add value.

Business owners normally would not allow external accountants to engage themselves in business. But as the times have changed, finance directors find it more useful if accountants get involved in business planning and forecasting. Financial Management is highly dependent on the understanding of business operations in sales, marketing, production, operations, administration, human resources, and finance. Any accountant who has got this understanding can then demonstrate the financial implications of their decisions and actions to non-finance business owners and managers.

Businesses do not claim enough R&D tax credits. Too many business owners are unaware that they may qualify. Too many accountants miss opportunities due to a lack of understanding of their client’s businesses. By gaining better experience, an accountant can identify potential R&D tax credit claims. If you’d like to speak with an accountant who will take the time to get to know you and your business and work collaboratively with you to achieve better results, please contact us.

Modern-day accounting firms have become aware that without having business analysts and advisory services, options to increase client base is very limited. Business, on the other hand, do not want to hire a third party business advisory service to look at financial savings and improve profitability. It would work both ways. As Tax Accountants, our job is more extensive as every penny saved will save you more in tax.

Besides that, an accountant who is familiar with your business can help you save money on taxes. Suppose your accountant is not familiar with the day-to-day operations of your business, the nature of your work processes, procurement, billing, and cash collection. In that case, they will be unable to provide you with the support and advice you require. It is critical to understand the activities and relationships of all trading companies when you have more than one.

Not answered above?

If you need advice regarding your personal circumstances, please call our office or book an online appointment.

Who We Are ?

We Are Professional Accountants, Tax Advisors and Business Consultants

Our team consists of highly qualified accountants, Ex HMRC Tax Inspectors and industry known business consultants

Choose the best Accountants

If you are self-employed or have a small business, let our team of best tax accountants take care of your accounting and tax compliance 

What our clients say


Our blogs and articles are for information only. If you need help with your specific tax problem or need advice for your business please call us on 0800 135 7323